Chinese New Year Slot Machine
This is a reasonably entertaining, uncomplicated slot game with pleasing, colorful imagery and a basic array of classic special features: wilds, scatters, a bonus game and three types of jackpot (this last feature is only really relevant to players betting real money, so not to players here at Free Slots). Most of the fun happens on the ordinary reels. The symbols aren’t 3D, unfortunately, but nonetheless they boast vibrant illustrations of the animals traditionally associated with the Chinese spring festival (monkeys, snakes, rams, dogs doing karate, that sort of thing).
How to Play
This Chinese New Year Slot from OpenBet comes with a classic operating panel with large buttons for controlling the stakes, the number of activated paylines, the spin function, automatic games and the gamble option – more about that later. Even newcomers to online slots will be able to use it fairly intuitively. Because all games are free-of-charge here at Free Slots Pro, you don’t need to worry about how many credits you bet on how many lines, although we did find that if we put the stakes up to a very high level we got a message saying we had insufficient funds and the reel spin wouldn’t complete. So bear in the mind that the Bet Max option isn’t very useful for slots fans playing just for fun.
|Min Bet per Line||$0.25|
|Max Bet per Line||$50|
Special Features and Ways to Win
This is a 5-reel, 20-payline slot. As with all online slot games, you win on Chinese New Year whenever you manage (by chance) to line up a winning combination of symbols on a payline you activated before your spin began. But because our Free Slots players aren’t interested in the cash side of things, we focus on the special features and bonus games. These are:
- The Feature Game: Basically this is a bonus game, activated when three or more Laughing Chinese Man symbols land anywhere on the reels after a spin. During the bonus game you can win multipliers of between 2x to 10,000x the line-stake that was activated when the game was triggered (again, a feature that is of greater interest to real-cash players).
- The Scatter: The Scatter is the Snake symbol. When three or more Snake symbols land anywhere on the reels a series of Free Spins kicks in. While the Free Spins are in action an exclusive Super Wild enhanced reel set appears alongside the ordinary reels, increasing your chances of additional wins.
- The Wild: The Wild Boar symbol is the Wild Card icon. It can substitute for any symbol apart from the Snake Scatter symbol and the Jackpot symbol (more about that below). The Wild Card applies a multiplier of either 2x, 5x or 10x any win (apart from during the Feature Game) that’s made using the Wild Card.
- Mini, Midi, and Mega Jackpots: As with most of the above, the real attraction in this is for the real-money players. But slots fans at Free Slots can enjoy a few spins just trying their luck at the winning an imaginary Jackpot too. Three Mouse with a Fan symbols on an activated payline wins the Mini Jackpot, four gets you the Midi Jackpot and five the Mega Jackpot.
- The Gamble Feature: After you’ve won some credits on the reels you have the choice of using the Gamble Feature. Simply hit the Gamble button at the bottom of the reels. Playing is a risk though: if you win you double your winnings; lose and you’ll lose all your credits (this is a good one for non-cash players as you can enjoy the tension but at no risk to your wallet).
Music, Audio and Graphics
Audio and graphics on this Chinese slot are basic but tolerable. The reels symbols become animated when they’re triggered on a winning payline and there are nice sound touches with a Chinese gong and some flute music. Betsoft it ain’t, but it’s ok.
The Last Word
Good for a few free spins but not much more than that. Six out of ten.